Patient Handling Technician
The Patient Handling Technician provides cost-effective maintenance on UHS and customer-owned beds, stretchers and related patient handling equipment to assure it is functioning properly and meets customers' needs.
The Patient Handling Technician performs operational verification, preventive maintenance and corrective repair service, and completes all associated documentation and communication in a timely manner.
Technician is responsible for delivery and equipment management tasks for a district office, including customer delivery and pick-up of medical equipment; processing, cleaning, inspecting and testing equipment; and inventory maintenance.
Knowledge and Physical Requirements
- 21 years of age or older, with high school diploma or equivalent.
- Prior work experience in hospital setting or customer service preferred.
- Mechanical Aptitude
- Military training or Associate's degree in an Applied Science preferred
- Demonstrated competency to perform operational verification procedures, preventive maintenance and repair service on electro-mechanical equipment.
- Understanding of regulatory agencies' requirements.
- Business management understanding to assist with contract management and account margin maintenance.
- Familiar with the setup and application of test equipment (electrical safety analyzer, digital multi-meter, weights, etc.).
- Able to read, analyze and interpret technical literature, schematics and technical drawings.
- Valid driver's license.
- Willing to travel periodically to support business.
- Basic computer skills.
- Willing to work flexible hours, including evenings, weekends and holidays, as well as emergency off-hours as required.
- Valid driver's license and potential for DOT certification.
- Able to lift and/or push 75 pounds.
- Able to stand and walk for long periods of time.
Behavioral Skills (How the jobholders must conduct themselves with other people.)
- Possesses quality orientation with a “get it right the first time” attitude.
- Complies with patient privacy laws in all matters.
- Maintains and projects confidence, enthusiasm and a professional image.
- Flexible, coachable.
- Demonstrates strong communication skills (listening, writing and speaking).
- Demonstrates team orientation and shows respect for others.
- Proactive and self motivated.
- Organized; prioritizes to meet deadlines.
- Operates with a proactive approach towards safety, health and quality in compliance with all company, governmental, and customer policies and regulations.
- Maintains a clean and safe work environment.
- Customer-focused: willing to go above and beyond.
Practical Skills (Tasks that the job holder must be able to do and demonstrate.)
- Able to dialogue with clinical staff on the topics of equipment features, functionality, etc.
- Understands and uses effective conflict resolution skills, e.g., identifies and resolves service concerns, discrepancies and disagreements.
- Ensures prompt and courteous service is delivered to all customers in person and in all communications.
- Provides cost effective equipment inspection, maintenance, calibration and repair service on patient handling equipment.
- Delivers a quality service and meets productivity objectives and targets.
- Shares information with all team members to improve ability to service customers and define opportunities for the district team.
- Completes all paperwork accurately and in a timely manner to ensure accurate documentation for billing and required regulatory compliance.
- Inspects, cleans and tests patient handling equipment for functionality, following approved written procedures.
- Safely loads, secures and delivers medical equipment to customers.
- Completes and maintains DOT certification, according to location-specific needs.
- Educates and engages customers at the time of delivery, detailing customers on the features and functionality of the equipment,
- Retrieves equipment from customer locations, safely transporting the equipment back to the UHS office.
- Ships and receives medical equipment and supplies.
- Assists with inventory management.
- Resolves customer complaints, ensuring customer satisfaction.
- Assists in patient handling equipment training as needed.
- Performs other assigned duties.
- Proficient in the UHS systems and Microsoft Office programs.
- Serves as part of training team for other members in Division/Region.
- Demonstrates a high level of sales aptitude with customers, and identifies and brings opportunities to review as part of the territory planning process.
- Possesses strong customer interfacing skills based on relationships established with accounts.
- Serves as a lead for key accounts (e.g., accounts using patient handling and negative pressure wound therapy services).
- Serves as a peer advisor to employees.
Orients, trains and assigns and checks other employees' work, as appropriate.
- Serves as a subject matter expert for key projects in the office (e.g, quality indicator scores, inventory, accounts receivables).
- Places internal requisitions and assists with inventory management of replacement parts.
- Able to retrieve and use information to support technical services and the repair of fleet equipment to improve utilization.
- Develops other personnel in the district office (cross and lateral training).
- Considered a subject matter expert with district offices around equipment management tasks, policies and procedures.
- Works with the Trade Desk on sales and buyout opportunities.
- Able to perform district office audits.
- Able to complete manufacturer service calls (mechanical, not technical) and all necessary documentation.
- Able to in-service patient handling devices to clinical staff.
Apply for this ad Online!
More Jobs from Universal Hospital Services
- Hospital Service Tech - PT weekend (days) Seattle
- Hospital Service Technician - F/T - St Louis, MO
- Surgical Laser Technician, Bay Area
- Hospital Service Rep, 3rd shift, weekends
- Specialty Sales Executive - San Jose OR San Francisco
- Fixed Assets Accountant
- Hospital Service Technician - P/T - Rockford, IL
- Hospital Service Technician - F/T - Rockford, IL
- Medical Equipment Service and Delivery - Wixom, MI (2nd shift)
- Technical Services Coordinator
- Medical Equipment Service and Delivery - FT Tampa
- Hospital Operations Supervisor, Mineola NY
- Specialty Sales Executive - Surgical - Boston, MA
- Hospital Service Technician P/T Louisville, KY
- Hospital Service Technician - F/T - 2nd Shift ~ Louisville, KY
- Strategic Account Executive, New York
- Medical Equipment Service and Delivery Driver - Wixom, MI
- Hospital Service Technician -F/T - Indianapolis, IN
- Hospital Service Technician - P/T - Sat/Sun - Indianapolis, IN
- Field Service Technician - Biomed Repair