Head of Development - Software
Head of Development
More photos have been taken this decade than in the rest of history! Rapid advances in mobile technology mean that over a trillion pictures are captured each year.
Our client helps the photo industry stay ahead of the game.
They are looking for talented engineers to work with them to build solutions for some of the world’s biggest brands, and millions of their customers.
Over the last 12 years, they’ve grown a diverse client base that ranges from individual store owners, through high street chains to massive global corporations.
Although they’re based in the UK, their core clients are also located in Ireland and North America.
Their team finds creative and innovative ways to solve complex hardware and software problems for their clients.
They keep development cycles fast, adapting as they go along, and investing in a culture of discovery and continual feedback.
They still have a startup-like culture of openness to ideas and opportunities for talent to be put to good use… plus a market-tested and profitable product line.
(The best of both worlds!)
You will join around 80 other staff, in freshly renovated offices in a conservation area in Hampshire.
Trains to Chichester, Southampton, Brighton and London are a 5-minute walk away, and they are also a 15-minute walk to the sea.
They’ve got breakout areas, a games room and free on-site employee parking, a sizable garden, fitness suite, a plethora of musical instruments, modern kitchens, a host of the latest gadgets and much more.
Plus a 1Gbps fibre connection… they take their technology very seriously!
What you’ll be doing:
You will manage and develop their software teams to facilitate the delivery of products to clients in a timely and safe manner. The role is focused on development strategy and effective implementation of it, quality output, team coordination, and inter-team relationships, although you should expect and need to be hands-on technical.
You may have previous experience as a Senior Developer, Team Lead or Manager, Head of Software Development, CTO, and they are willing to explore candidates looking to progress their development as well as proven applicants.
You will work with your own team to:
- Establish and maintain standards and good practice for software development:
- Use agile techniques to embed agile principles, practices, and theory, to support the team in achieving successful delivery
- Drive Dry Principles, continuous integration, automated tests, pair programming and code reviews
- Support Developers with technical advice and guidance
- Manage capacity and skills within the team, and use of 3rd parties in order to deliver the agreed delivery pipeline
- Review and refine the Development and test timeframe, improve quality to reduce re-work
- Create an environment of trust and safety, encouraging continuous learning and adaptation
You will work with clients to:
- Define development requests
- Manage expectations around the delivery pipeline.
You will work with their delivery teams to:
- Understand the strategic direction of the Company’s product set and define the current development roadmap
- Research and define the technical objectives and advancements for the platform
- Support the refinement and maintenance of the prioritised product backlog
- Design and deliver high-quality integration solutions that satisfy project requirements
- Support and resolve technical issues that can be owned by the application and software teams
- Function as a trusted technical advisor that collaborates with both business and technical stakeholders, sets direction, builds consensus, mediates conflicts, and helps to create an environment which solicits contributions from all participants.
You should apply if you are...
- Excellent in written, verbal and face to face communication
- Able to context shift quickly
- 5+ years of recent hands-on development experience in Java/J2ee, Rest, Weblogic, Tomcat, JMS, Python, Ruby on Rails, Spring framework, Clojure, Groovy, Hibernate, Maven, etc.
- Strong technical knowledge of application delivery methods and familiarity with how to integrate portfolios of systems to build and deliver client solutions
- Excellent working knowledge of Agile
It’s a bonus if you have...
- Track record of leading and managing Software Development teams in an Agile Environment
- Experience in managing teams of 20 - 30 through the use of best practice techniques and tools for development teams.
- Experience building Development roadmaps, monitoring industry trends and directions; developing and presenting substantive technical recommendations to senior management.
- Ruby on Rails developer
- A salary that matches your skills and experience
- 33 days paid holiday (including Bank Holidays) rising by a day each year to 36 days after 3 years’ service
- A bonus scheme to reward your contribution to the success of the company
- 4% contributions towards the NEST pension scheme
- Membership of a Health and Wellbeing support scheme (& Medical Insurance for senior employees)
- Childcare Vouchers and membership of a Ride2Work scheme (discounted bicycles)
- A healthy social calendar
- Learning and development opportunities, both internally and externally
Please apply with a one-page cover letter outlining your passion for and experience in web technologies, together with your CV.
- Start: ASAP
- Duration: Perm
- Rate: Salary Negotiable
- Location: Havant, Hampshire, England
- Type: Permanent
- Industry: IT
- Recruiter: Acapella Recruitment
- Contact: Client Recruitment Team
- Tel: 01245408436
- Email: to view click here
- Reference: K190704T1
- Posted: 2019-07-04 18:32:04 -
- View all Jobs from Acapella Recruitment
More Jobs from Acapella Recruitment
- Retail Sales Advisor - Menswear - 16 hrs - Cardiff
- Retail Manager - Menswear - Exeter
- Social Media & Digital Marketing Internship
- Systems Engineers
- Group Marketing Manager
- Principal Scientist
- Group Marketing Manager
- Quality Assurance Officer - Aseptic Pharmaceutical Specials
- Laboratory Technician Apprentice
- PPC Manager
- Retail Sales Advisor - 15hrs - Menswear - Belfast
- Retail Sales Advisor - Menswear - 13hrs - Newton Abbott
- Retail Sales Advisor - Menswear - 14 hrs - Cwmbran
- Junior Researcher & Analyst
- Retail Operations Manager
- Nurse - Full or Part Time
- Credit Controller
- Nurse RGN
- Nurse RGN
- SUPERVISOR - Menswear Retail - Wembley Park